Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Adestria - "Chapters"
3/26/12 Razor & Tie Records



I don't know much about California's Adestria, but I stumbled upon one song, liked it, and bought their debut album "Chapters". My first impression of this band after a few minutes listening, was that they reminded me of a mixture of All That Remains and Killswitch Engage, which is a very good thing.

When this band is heavy, they're HEAVY, they involve some keys in their songs which can either make or break an album, but I think they execute it perfectly. Their metal vocals are great, whether they're screaming or growling its spot on. They do however use clean vocals a lot, which personally I never like in my metals, but they do it in such a way that doesn't make me frown. Their breakdowns and guitar work are solid and keep me interested throughout the whole album. "The Odyssey" is probably the best song on "Chapters", while "Outsiders" has a nice flavorful taste of hardcore in it which was a great addition. "More Than You Know" shows the softer side of Adestria (maybe too soft?), but 3 minutes in they go back to the brutality. They end the album with "Scarlet Letter", a powerful song with an even more powerful ending. This song has some female vocals, as does "Whiskey For The Soul" and one or two others, which work very nicely.

This band will definitely make a rise in the metal world in the next year or so, I enjoyed this album, and although I'm biased because I don't fully enjoy clean vocals, I'm sure most other listeners will. "Chapters" is a good mix of genres, with death metal and post hardcore, it'll make for a good listen for all metal fans.